We offer trials to suit every dog, from pets to operational.
Search for the odour your dog is trained on.
Compete for the thrill.
+ 2 minutes
+ 4 minutes
- Each trial will have an organiser and both the Primary and Secondary judge. Judges decisions are final.
- Placings are 1st and Reserve and are decided based on the scoring system. Where two dogs have identical scores, the highest judges discretion points will determine the placing.
- All runs are timed.
- You may have a copy of your score sheet once the trial has concluded.
- You must advise us of all odours your dog is trained to find, as well as which odour you wish to search for at the trial.
- Teams may not switch running times, this is due to the fact the running order is worked out based on what odours dogs are trained on and searching for.
- There may be practice areas which you may use at any time throughout the day.
- You may ask to see the search area without your dog, prior to your search.
- Dogs may only be worked in one level per trial.
- Handlers may only work one dog per level.
- You may watch runs after your turn, unless the team requests no spectators.
- We welcome nervous and reactive dogs, however please do be aware that there will be two judges in the search area with you. They will not interact with your dog, however please take all precautions to ensure everyone remains safe.
- If your dog needs space, please use a yellow ribbon or other marker to make others aware.
- Bitches in season may run at the end of the day so please notify us if your bitch comes into season prior to the trial.
- You may search for any odour, within reason. This excludes food, toys, illegal substances without a license, or any substances harmful to health.
- Odour may be pure, on various soaks, or in a shell that can be removed from the area.
- DDT instructors, hosts and judges will be trained on suitable soak times and volumes of odours etc.
- Each odour per trial will be prepared equally.
- Distraction odours May be placed in the search areas, handlers may request to know what these are.
- Psuedo scent may be used.
- If the trial organiser cannot easily obtain your odour, they reserve the right to request that you bring this with you.
- NOTE – Prelim and Novice level dogs may search for kong as an odour so long as the kong is not also the reward. If your dog is working explosives or narcotics there may be certain venues that cannot accommodate this.
- Please let the judge know at the start of the run how you will be calling your dog’s indication. For example hand signal, nod, alert word.
- Dogs may be rewarded in the search area.
- Dogs may be worked on or off lead, however if the dog vacates the search area the team will be disqualified.
- If the dog urinates or defecates in an indoor search area, they will be disqualified. Where dogs urinate/defecate in an outdoor area this is at the judges discretion whether to disqualify or pause the run.
- Judges may end a run if a dog appears unsound or in distress.
- In order to qualify for Championships, the 1st place team must have won over at least two other teams at that trial and level (not including any DQ teams).
- In order to qualify for Championships, the first place team must have a minimum score of 60.
- Prelim wins do not qualify for Championships.
- Once a team has won a Prelim trial, they must move up to Novice.
- If a team has scored 90 points or above at Novice 3 times, they must move up to Intermediate.
Each criteria has a maximum of 10 points.
Scoring is based on the following;
1) ODOUR LOCATION
2) HANDLER TASKING
3) AREA COVERAGE
4) HANDLER RECOGNITION
5) OBEDIENCE TO SEARCH
6) ODOUR RECOGNITION
8) COMMITMENT TO ODOUR
9) OVERALL TEAM IMPRESSION
10) JUDGE’S DISCRETION
10 – Exceptional and Outstanding performance.
9 -Task performed to a very high standard.
8 – Very good, above average performance.
7 – Performed well and to standard.
6 – Good performance.
5 – Task performed, not quite at standard.
4 – Task performed, improvement needed.
3 – Task partially performed.
2 – Task minimally performed.
1 – Task barely performed.
0 – Task not performed.